Studies continue to show the glaring health disparities between the heterosexual majority and the LGBT minority. Many times these health disparities are being explained by harassment and victimizations by adults and peers.
Bullying among LGBT
- In one study, one-third of gay respondents stated they have missed an entire day to school due to feeling unsafe.
- LGBT youth have identified bullying as the second most important problem in their lives.
- With each instance of harassment, the risk of self-harm among LGBT youth multiplies 2 and a half times.
- LGBT Youth are more than twice as likely to experiment with drugs and alcohol.
- Only 37% of LGBT youth say they are happy and over half say they need to move away from where they are to be happy.
Stopping the Cycle
There are ways to help with this epidemic of health disparity such as the formation of Gay-Straight Alliances and other organizations that are meant to show respect to all. As a parent, you should be alert for signs of distress among youth and become involved. Ask your child’s school if they have a comprehensive and laid out plan on bullying policies. These health disparities can be eliminated but it starts with one thing… Action.
Sources: Mental Health America
Andersen, Judith P., Christopher Zou, and John Blosnich. “Multiple Early Victimization Experiences as a Pathway to Explain Physical Health Disparities among Sexual Minority and Heterosexual Individuals.”Social Science & Medicine 133 (2015): 111-19. Web.